Sunday 17 May 2009

North Island cities

Has it really been so long since I've had a chance to update anything here? March? Ouch.

Well, in that time we went to Auckland for Easter. Two days with Len & Val and two days with Shirley & Tom. It was great to see everyone. It had been quite a while so it was good to have that time with family, just hanging out and stuff.

And then this weekend just gone Joanne and I had a weekend away together in Wellington.

Joanne's not been to Wellington for at least 20 years and I've never got further than the conference room in the golf club across the road from the airport in four attempts.

In summary, Wellington deserves its reputation - it is windy. But we had fun nonetheless. We wandered round a bit, got a feel for the place, went up the cable car, enjoyed some tasty food, went to Te Papa, and watched Star Trek. I think I like Wellington. I wasn't sure quite what to expect, but I think I liked it. I did like the art deco architecture. Sure, it wasn't to the degree that we'll find in Napier when we eventually go, but there were buildings here and there. I do like art deco.

We also had the opportunity to catch up with Elizabeth (Marvin, Melanie & Monika's mum) as well as Sarah (Anthony's sister) for a cup of coffee and a slice of cake. It was good to get to say hi to family of friends who live in Wellington who we've met a few times.

No comments: