Sunday 24 February 2008

In summary

Ok, only time for a quick summary of the week since I wrote on Tuesday, I'm afraid, but I thought I better write something to fill in the blanks before anyone else tells me off.

On Wednesday afternoon we had the disputes tribunal thing regarding the payment for the wall we had built across our garden. I probably can't write too much about the details here (and it would take too long) but in summary, the dispute was resolved ammicably and we don't feel hard done by, so that's good. We paid half of the amount the builder considered due and he had to take the other half on the nose. Feels about right really, but a big relief to have it all dealt with now. It was just a shame that it had to come to that.

On Wednesday evening we had the first Christianity Explored session, as I've mentioned before. There were perhaps not as many people there as we'd hoped (some people who had signed up didn't make it) but the bottom line is that there were some people there, and if one person gets to hear the gospel faithfully explained then it's worth running the course.

Thursday evening saw us lose 9-8 at footy, but I so enjoyed this week's game compared to last week's game when we won 16-3. It was a real battle right up to the final whistle. Last week our opponents gave up at half time effectively, and then the game isn't enjoyable for anyone.

On Friday evening Joanne and I went to the cinema to see Jumper. It was ok, I guess, fairly enjoyable but I wouldn't advise anyone to rush out to the cinema to watch it. I couldn't help think of Hayden Christensen as anyone other than Anakin Skywalker and the film really felt more like a pilot for a TV series than a proper movie.

On Saturday my dad got back from his coach trip and was understandably full of stories of the places he'd been and the sights he'd seen. I think it's fair to say that he rather likes Nuzziland. Tomorrow he heads up north to spend a few days each with both of Jo's parents. I know he'll have a great time up there and that Shirley & Tom and Len & Val will take good care of him and give him opportunity to take lots more photos.

Last night Dad took us out for dinner, which was nice. I'd booked us a table at Stromboli which Lisa at work (or at least, she used to work with us) had recommended. The food was tasty, it was a nice place, but somehow I got given a kid's portion of the pasta I ordered.

And then finally we arrive at today. We had Wally & Rosemary (our vicar and his wife) over for lunch after church. We've been trying to arrange something with them for a while and we finally got a date in the diary. It was nice for them to be able to come over and meet Dad while he was here too. It was good to hear a bit more about them and their history and what brought them here and stuff. And also to be able to share a little of our history with them too. At Joanne's request, we ate bobotie. I have a great recipe for the Cape Malay dish (thank you, Helen) that always goes down well. I not sure me having it with HP Sauce is necessarily authentic (and I'm sure my South African friends would tut in disapproval, eh, Ruth?) but I'm not a fan of fruit chutney and it achieves the same end really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth says plebian!

Andy said...

Don't knock it until you try it