Friday 19 October 2007

Shocker

I am having trouble comprehending the fact that there are no moles in New Zealand. Joanne broke this to me the other evening. It just seems a strange concept, not having moles. She'll be telling me there are no squirrels here either next.

Have I really not written since Sunday? It really has just been one of those weeks, I guess. Just non-stop. And when I have had a spare five minutes to relax I've just been exhausted.

On Monday we had someone come round to discuss wills and powers of attorney. Cheery stuff. Then I had a run around in the park playing touch. Let's just say last week's bright start was beginner's luck. Tuesday we had bible study group round at Lisa and Steve's. Wednesday was a quieter evening, but I was shattered so just crashed. And then last night was 5-a-side again (we won 12-3, but the team were a bunch of novices who it seemed had done little more than kick a hackysack round in the park) after climbing up a ladder to put empty suitcases in the loft.

Joanne's been busy though. Most of the crates we bought at the weekend are now filled and we're down to our last ten boxes or so. This weekend we're probably going to head off to the refuse centre at some point to dispose of all empty boxes and used packing materials. She's done a great job. I just hope she remembers where she's put everything!

We've got a three day weekend this weekend, which is nice. Monday is Labour Day, a day that celebrates the event of the eight-hour working day. It's just a shame that hasn't filtered down to the place I work, eh? Although, to be fair, my boss does insist we get away from the computer at lunchtime and insists we take morning and afternoon tea breaks. I do wonder whether that's for our own good, or to aid our productivity levels though. Speaking of work, and my boss, my appraisal didn't end up happening yesterday. There's some secretive company business stuff going on that needed urgent analysis doing. I got involved, my boss was involved and so we postponed. No return date has been set up yet though. On the plus side, the longer we leave it, the more we'll have to appraise.

We've no real plans for the weekend really. We'd hoped to get away, at least for a day, but with my gym induction tomorrow, trips to the refuse centre and shopping for book shelves, the walk-in wardrobe being fitted, the rugby final and church on Sunday and potentially kayaking with a guy Rick from church and footy on Monday there doesn't leave a lot of time for days out. Plus I've a few boxes with my name on them that need emptying to prevent me ending up in the dog house.

Next Tuesday and Wednesday we have an off-site office conference. Supposedly where we're going, Hanmer Springs (described as an alpine thermal holiday resort), is pretty idyllic. Why are conferences, when you spend hours inside rooms being talked at, always held in idyllic places. I remember the Cocoa one last October. The place was gorgeous. Not that we got to enjoy anything other than the inside of the Chiltern Suite though.

No comments: