Wednesday 31 October 2007

Suitably appraised

The appraisal happened on Monday. It was scheduled to last 45 minutes. We finished four and a half hours after we started. It was thorough, I can tell you. But, in the looking back bit, all the feedback was positive, which was nice to hear. It was so good to finally get some feedback too. I've kind of been flying blind for the last couple of months. My boss says I'm exceeding expectations, he's had great feedback from other people in the company, and he's excited about where things are going to go in the future. Monday was definitely one of my better days.

Speaking of work, my corporate uniform finally arrived. There is a sort of grey pin-striped everyday shirt and then a white dress shirt and green and black striped tie for best, for meeting the customers and the like. Joanne says I look like a salesman. It's good it arrived though. In a couple of weeks it's Show Week down here in Canterbury and as part of our learning experience Gabi and I have to go and press palms with the farmers at the Royal New Zealand Show, representing the company and getting out there meeting people. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous. I hope the farmers are understanding that we're not quite experienced enough to be able to give them a fertiliser recommendation plan or anything. I think we just have to be nice and friendly and welcoming, directing people to the people who will be able to help them. I'm looking forward to the show though. It looks like it might be fun. I hope we get to wander around a bit as well as manning the stand for a while.

It's a shame the show is so soon actually. A guy in our company, a soil scientist nicknamed Dr Dirt, gives a two-day 'Soils 101' course for the new field staff every so often. One thing I mentioned in my appraisal is that it would be useful for me and my background knowledge to attend, and the next running of the course is at the end of November, up in Pukekohe. Come December, ask me about soil. I promise I'll know more than I do now.

Gah, this internet is so slow. With Joanne still consulting for her old company this month (until today - hurray!) she's had to download quite a few files and hefty email attachments. This has meant that we've exceeded our monthly broadband limit of 3gb. So now we're having to run at a capped speed. It's dial-up speed. It's 2007 and we're restricted to dial-up speed internet connections! Roll on 11th when the next 'month' starts.

Better news, however, comes via the UK taxman. They've repaid me my tax I'd overpaid for this year, which was nice. It's just a shame they repaid it to my UK bank account.

Did I tell you we got our tickets for Bon Jovi? Me, Joanne and Gabi are going to relive the 80s. I wonder where I can find a poodle-rock wig to wear for the night...

No comments: