Tuesday 1 January 2008

25th December

So I left you at 1pm on Christmas Day with me heading up to lunch. Lunch was more towards a typical English Christmas dinner than what I'd been lead to believe was a typical Kiwi barbecue on the beach type thing. Roast turkey etc etc followed by Christmas pudding. Lovely. There was talk of Christmas next year being held down here. Suits me, I'd be happy to cook Christmas lunch a la Andy.

In the afternoon most people slept off lunch while I sat amazing the mother-in-law of Jennifer (my step-sister-in-law, I guess) with Google Earth zooming in to show her her house and stuff.

In the evening, after turkey rolls, we all sat and chatted for a bit and then later on I phoned everyone at home. I spoke to Sarah and Ellie, and then Dad and then finally Mum. I think it was only speaking to them that really made it hit home that they were back in the UK having Christmas with out me. Up till then it hadn't really been as clear as that. Other than the one Christmas I'd spent in Madrid and the Joanne and I spent in London with Melanie I'd spent every Christmas of my life with my family. OK, so recent years have been more tricky, sharing time between parents and stuff, but I'd still spent Christmas Day and Boxing Day (almost) every year surrounded by family. It was good to phone them though and let them know I was missing them.

That's not so say Christmas wasn't good, of course. Just different. It was good to spend Christmas with Joanne's family. It was a great first Christmas in New Zealand. And I am enjoying meeting and spending time with new family. I now have all these new aunties and uncles and cousins and (step-)sisters I've never really met or spent much time with before. One thing though, I do need to educate this nation that Christmas pudding should be served with white sauce, not custard, and Christmas cake without marzipan and icing is in actuality just a nice fruit cake.

The day was finished off with fireworks, although we only set three off as Tom didn't want to disturb the neighbours.

No comments: