Tuesday 1 January 2008

30th December

Sunday saw us having another day out doing touristy things before we flew home. I am a big fan of aquariums so the chance to visit Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World was something I could not say no to.

What a great way to utilise dis-used sewage storage tanks. It was quite a spectacular place actually. Feeding time in the ray tank was amazing to watch (I don't know how the guy stayed calm as the rays surrounded him and climbed us his back and his front and all over) and I always like watching the seahorses. And the penguin bit was impressive too (other than the woman who hogged the window the whole ray round meaning I couldn't get any photos). I always thought penguins were little fellas but some of those king or emperor penguins or whatever they were were quite tall.

Following Kelly Tarlton's we headed over to the Viaduct for a late lunch. One relaxing lunch at Portofino (four seasons pizza followed berry cheesecake for me, chicken risotto for Joanne) with a bit of people-watching later we headed back to Len and Val's to get packed before shooting off the the airport.

And so, that was it. Our first New Zealand Christmas. Well, my first and Joanne's first for ten years. Our first together. It was difficult at times being away from my family but good that Joanne was back with hers. And I could not have been made welcome by the new side of my family. Summer Christmasses are going to take some getting used to, but if they're all like this one it won't take too long. Although next year I a going to insist on white sauce with my Christmas pud!

No comments: