Wednesday 16 July 2008

Flying around

I flew up to Auckland today for a meeting. The week before last I flew to Wellington for a meeting. It all seems a bit strange, flying to Auckland and Wellington for meetings. I guess it's no different from flying to Zuerich or Antwerp for meetings like I used to when I was back in London though. It just sounds more exotic or something.

When I was in Auckland today the company we met work in an office in an area called Highland Park. It's near where Jo's mum used to live in Howick when Jo half lived there growing up. The office is also across the road from a Denny's restaurant. The same Denny's restaurant that Joanne used to work in when she was at Uni. It just seems totally weird to me that today I was at a place where almost 20 years ago Joanne worked opposite flipping burgers and pouring coffee. I'm not sure why it seems weird. Maybe it's just because that part of her life is so far away (in time and geographically) from the Joanne I now know. We grew up on opposite sides of the world. I guess I always thought I'd never have a link to that part of her life. And yet today I got a little bit closer.

Oh wow, it's just got even freakier. We've just discovered, by Joanne going through her old job references (why she has references from 20 years ago, I really don't know) that the first chartered accountancy company she worked for after graduating was also on the same street. Not only that, but it was actually in the same building as my meeting today. And that company still exists and is still in the same building. That's just spooky. In the whole of Auckland the only business meeting I've ever been to ended up being in the same building as Joanne's first professional job! Is it just me that's freaked out by that?

No comments: