Sunday 27 July 2008

One year down

I've just realised that somehow I managed to miss our one year anniversary. On Friday Joanne and I had been in Nuzziland a whole year. 12 whole months away from the motherland. It really has flown by. It's been good though. We've done some great stuff while we've been here and God has blessed us richly with our house and jobs and mostly with the friends we've made at St John's. The hardest thing about leaving the UK was leaving friends and family behind. It still is difficult and I miss so many people so much, but we're building lasting friendships here now and it helps.

I think having Jason here this weekend has brought it all back to the surface again too, in some ways. Having a friend visit from back on the Barge has reminded me of everyone we left behind. It was the same when Caroline was here and when Ruth and Keith were in NZ too. I wouldn't want not to see old friends though, and have them not visit, don't get me wrong.

So yeah, Jason arrived on Saturday. My football match was cancelled due to excessive rainfall during the week which means that our moat/impromptu duck pond is back across the road and more significantly that I was able to take Jason on a bit of a drive around Christchurch to show him a bit of the place. It ended up being quite a tour.

We started up Dyers Pass Road stopping at the lookout point near the Sign of the Takahe for a couple of photos before the clouds came in. Then came the drive over the back of the Porthills round to Lyttelton, round the corner and over to Sumner before heading back into town to take in the cathedral, a shop or two, the Art Gallery, the Arts Centre, the Botanic Gardens and a quick cup of bubble tea. We then met up with Joanne in town (who had, incidentally, just won her first netball match of the season - a real cause for celebration!) for some dinner at the Tap Room. Mmmm, stonegrill.... you can't go wrong.


Today, after church we had Ryan, Bek & Si and Chris back for lunch. We wanted to introduce Jason to some of our friends from St John's. Scotch broth with home-baked rosemary bread followed by banana rum nut crumble and hokey-pokey icecream. Lush.

And now, presently and at the moment, I'm sat up in bed in a hotel in Methven. Tomorrow, assuming the mountain's open, we go skiing! My first time in the southern hemisphere too.

No comments: