Monday 8 September 2008

Strike! - or not

We had quite the hectic weekend. It seemed quite non-stop to be honest so it was nice to have a sit down yesterday evening (for me at least - Joanne was out and had her rest time in the afternoon).

It started on Friday evening when we joined some of Joanne's workmates for dinner in La Porchetta before heading across the road to the cinema to watch Hellboy II (my review: big red; good special effects; not as good as the first one).

Saturday saw a big bowl of chocolate porridge for breakfast followed by football in the afternoon. Supposedly it was our last game of the season and was a bit of an anti-climax as we got beaten 3-1. We scored first as well but pretty much petered out after that. I say that it's supposedly our last game as we still have one of our eighteen games left to play that was washed out earlier in the year, but the season's officially ended so I'm unsure whether we'll get it organised. We might but then again we might not.

Assuming we don't play the make-up match it means we played 17 games in total (I missed two though) and I scored 17 goals. Not a bad return for a mid-table team (we finished 6th out of 10) given I've not played competitively for something like 15 years but I was kind of hoping to reach 20 for the season. Maybe next year, if I manage to get fit in the off-season.

In the evening on Saturday Joanne and I headed out into town for dinner. We went to the Bismarck, a German place with proper German food. Bratwuerste, fried potatoes with bacon and sauerkraut. Proper German.

After that we met up with a whole bunch of friends from church at the bowling alley. Another Kiwi first for me, we've not had any ten-pin action since moving over here. And it showed unfortunately. I broke 100 in both games, but failed to get over 120. A long time with little practice has passed since the times Joanne would go weekly on 'date-night' and I'd regularly score 150 plus and once even made it over the 200 mark.

Yesterday we had church in the morning as usual and then headed back home for lunch. It was a bit of triumph actually. I turned some of our wannabe-Lincolnshire sausages into pork patties and then served them with a poached egg atop each one and some sage and onion bread on the side. It was so good that Joanne had to have a kip for the rest of the afternoon to sleep it off. Joanne having a kip is always a sign that she's had a good meal ;)

While Joanne snoozed I spent the afternoon filling our shed. As part of the new garden we've had a shed put up and it's been there for weeks now, empty. We bought a shelf unit to go in to it a few weeks back too. It's been in it's box for weeks now. I finally decided to get around to it all so built the shelf-unit and then set about moving bikes, tools, ladders, chairs and buckets into the shed. The garage is quite empty now. Empty enough to be obvious that it needs a sweep, Joanne pointed out.

After all that physical exhaustion I spent the evening on my backside in front of the telly while Joanne went round to a friend's for a bit of flute and piano 'jamming'.

So there you have it, a taste of one of our fuller weekends. Next week should be quieter I think, other than my football club's end-of-season dinner and awards night on Saturday.

Not sure if I mentioned but I've got an MRI booked on my shoulder for Thursday. I finally, three months after injuring it, got referred to someone by the physio the other week. One appointment with a sports physican and he seemed to have a better idea of what was going on, thinks that it was actually disloacted after all and has referred me for the MRI to get right to the bottom of the issue. Just a shame it took three months to get to this stage though, eh?

No comments: