Saturday 29 September 2007

Non-stop Saturdays

You know, it's nice to be busy, but I am looking forward to a Saturday with nothing on. Today was another non-stop one. It's been a good one though.

It started with England v Tonga and England playing a lot better than they have done. They looked a long way from the team that got hammered by South Africa, but I still fear for them against (probably) Australia next week. There's a couple of Aussies in the office but I think they'll be gentle with me. I'm just glad Clayton's still 12,000 miles away in London.

After the rugby match it was time for what Joanne described as the best breakfast she'd ever eaten, even surpassing our favourite diner in New York. She was so excited by what I told her about Drexels after I went with the marketing team on Tuesday that she insisted we go as soon as possible. Who am I to refuse another great breakfast, eh? Heuvos rancheros for me, eggs, sausages, hashbrowns and pancakes for Joanne. Be warned - anyone who intends to visit us in Chch, expect a breakfast in Drexels scheduled in.

The next part of the day was spent shopping for house stuff, checking out some furniture, looking for coat racks, buying towels, checking out 'garage organising solutions'. Our usual weekend stuff. But at least it was only part of the day. I can't get over how the Kiwi equivalent of B&Q has a drive-through bit, and every DIY store has someone selling sausages outside of it. Very peculiar.

In the afternoon we headed off to the Botanic Gardens to meet Monika and Barry and their family. Mon is the sister of Marvin and Melanie, friends of ours from London (although Mel is living in Hong Kong at the moment). It was a lovely way to spend the afternoon. They're a great couple and have lovely kids. Mon assured us they were on their best behaviour, but we were impressed. The Botanic Gardens is a really great site actually, in the centre of the city, but really well cared for and looked after, well-tended but with stuff for the kids to do too. It reminded me of Pukekura Park in New Plymouth that we had a wander around with Shirley on my first visit to NZ. Kiwis do do outside well, you know.

And then this evening, after an eat-all-you-want buffet at the Cabbage Tree, we headed off to AMI stadium, ex-Jade Stadium, ex-Lancaster Park (the joy of the age of corporate sponsorship of sport, eh?) for Canterbury v Auckland. Both teams, as I mentioned were unbeaten going into the game and had been playing well all season. Well tonight that changed. Canterbury just didn't real turn up and lacked Auckland's intensity. Having said that, had Stephen Brett, who has had an impressive season so far, kicked all the penalties and conversions he missed the scores would have been tied.

There was a strange subdued atmosphere at the game. Someone told me that it was nothing out of the ordinary. It was very different from a football game in the UK, I can tell you. It took 70 minutes before there was even any chanting of any sort, and that was only because the Tui the crowd had been downing began to take effect.

Leaving after the match was a little strange too. I've decided, because we live here, to support Canterbury in the Air NZ Cup and the Crusaders in the Super 14. It wouldn't make any sense to do otherwise really. So I have an intellectual attachment to Canterbury, if you like, and to the result tonight. But it's not like watching Grimsby Town and Man United. It's not a team that is part of me yet, not part of my history, of what makes me me. I have no emotional attachment. And so watching the game I wanted them to win, sure, but leaving after the game I was a little disappointed but the feeling wasn't nearly the same as leaving Blundell Park after seeing Town getting beaten. It wasn't personal. I wonder how long that takes.

1 comment:

Pete Green said...

I agree with you Andy - Saturdays are definitely the best time to hang out in the nude.