Tuesday 31 July 2007

Everybody's gone surfin'

I woke up this morning to another blue pair of sky and sea. 15 degrees or so, sun shining, and this is winter here? I decided to go and get some fresh air and as it had been a bit windy last night there was a decent swell. Shirley and Joanne had been for a walk earlier and seen loads of surfers down at the beach so I thought I'd go and check it out. It really is quite impressive to see these guys riding the waves. They make it look so simple. I remember standing and watching them all at Surfers' Paradise in Oz when we were there in 2005. I wonder if I'm too old to take it up.

One thing I'm not too old to take up is golf. Joanne had some work to do today and Shirley had some stuff to do around the house so this afternoon I took myself off to the driving range just outside Warkworth. I don't know if the air is thinner here or something but I was definitely hitting the ball further than I have done consistently before. Maybe I'm getting better. I think there's still a way to go before I'm ready for a course though. Maybe I'll get some lessons and make use of this unemployed period once we get down to Chch and Jo's working.

And speaking of work, I've still heard nothing from my ex-boss regarding that little spreadsheet project he had lined up for me. Last contact I had was when I emailed him with my weekly rate and an estimate of how long the project would take. Maybe he's busy. Or else I was too expensive. But I would have thought I would have heard something.

Tomorrow we travel back down to Auckland, to stay with Joanne's dad for a week. Tom is driving us on his way to the airport to fly down and see his son Tomo who unfortunately had an accident a week or two back. Sounded quite bad, but hopefully he's on the road to recovery. By all accounts it could take a while though.

No comments: