Saturday 15 December 2007

Daylight

We moved one step closer to having everything done in the house today. We had our curtains fitted. Still no blinds, but at least we have curtains. It's so nice to have daylight streaming into our bedroom instead of daylight filtered through old real estate magazines. On the down side, it does mean we can now see just how filthy the windows are.

On Thursday evening, Keith and Ruth and Zack came over for dinner. It was so great to see them and spend time just chatting and stuff. It is kind of weird to see friends from London over here though, as I mentioned before. Just so out of place, I guess. It was a lovely evening though. We could have chatted for hours, and would have done if it were not for work the next for us and the start of their trip around the south island.

Zack did have time to christen our bath though (unless Shirley took a bath the other week) and to fall asleep on the running machine. It was where he chose to lie down. We did offer him more comfortable options.

Last night I got to play poker for the first time ever, with people with real intelligence rather than the artificial kind at least. Al was having a few guys round for a game and invited me when I saw him at touch on Monday. In the end there were only four of us, me, Al, Rick (another guy from church who plays footy with us) and a guy called Brendan. It was a great evening. A bit of banter and some cards. Can't go wrong, eh? And I didn't lose either, which was great for my first ever game. I came second in fact. I was winning until the final hand too.

Today Joanne and I had our usual Saturday morning gym trip before we had to rush home for the curtain guy. Early afternoon was spent at the unfortunate-sounding Groynes. It's a reserve up past the airport somewhere, for those too lazy to click. The reason we were there was for Joanne's work's Christmas picnic. Although it was more a catered barbeque than a picnic, to be honest. Lovely food too. The highlight for me was definitely when Santa arrived on the back of a ute and started giving out pressies to the kids. One little lad told me that Santa lives in Liverpool, although I'm not sure how widely held a view among little Kiwis that is.

Being at the work family party thing reminded me of the Christmas parties that Sartah and I used to go every year at the bus depot in Grimsby. I can't remember if it had been my nan or my grandad that had worked there, but either way, it was a party for the families of employees (and ex-employees too, I think). There would be cheese and sausages on sticks, ham sandwiches, some crisps, jelly and icecream, a few party games and then Father Christmas would turn up and give everyone a present. I still remember the curly-wurly straw I got one year.

I have to say that today was definitely the best weather I've ever enjoyed on my birthday. It's going to be weird having a summer birthday from now on. I'm used to my birthday being grey and miserable. It's been a good birthday so far though. The sun is shining, I got some cool pressies (a Transformers t-shirt and a DVD of the movie from Joanne, a barbecue implements set from my mum, a little golf ball and accessory holder thing from my sis and Ellie, and a Mr Bump t-shirt from Shirley and Tom), Joanne bought me a really delicious banana cake. Tonight we're off out for a meal. Probably a curry I think. We've not had one since we've been here.

No comments: