Monday 24 December 2007

Ducks at the beach

This morning the weather was a lot clearer and the sea a lot bluer so after breakfast we headed down to Goat Island. Nigel, Claire and Georgie did a bit of snorkelling around the marine reserve while Joanne and Cleo caught some rays. Leon and I headed out around the island on kayaks. I really did enjoy the kayaking. It was a bit daunting round the far side of the island with the waves getting up to a metre or so but once I had confidence that the kayak wasn't going to capsize it was fine. It would have been even better had the sea been calmer so that we could have gone closer to the island and even explored the caves. Maybe next time, eh? Despite that it was still great fun. I really am tempted to invest in a sea kayak. It is definitely something I could see myself getting into.

A rather bizarre scene at the beach involved first one, and then a whole load of ducks waddling through the sand and then heading into the surf and paddling away. I always thought ducks were fresh water birds only. Maybe these ones were just on holiday or something.

Tonight we're meant to be having a big barbecue with all the people from the surrounding houses joining us. If the weather holds it'll be good.

Joanne is in her element. For her, this is Christmas. For me, if I wasn't sat next to a tree and a big pile of presents right now, I would easily forget tomorrow is Christmas day.

No comments: