Saturday 22 December 2007

Shaky stuff

Another earthquake hit Nuzziland last night. 6.8 on the Richter scale. The strongest since 1987 supposedly. The cloest town was Gisborne up on the north island but according to some people at work it was even felt down here. Not sure what I was doing at half past nine last night but it wasn't feeling earthquakes, that's for sure.

It seems I misjudged the ability of my boss to get everything resolved regarding my department in view of his imminent departure to western Australia. We were told today what the score will be in the new year. Most of the marketing department will be reporting to a new woman coming in as the Senior Communications Manager. Me and one other in the marketing department will be effectively moving into the sales department, I think. But as the GM Sales has loads of reports already, and way more than is recommended in the company, the other person will be now reporting to him but I will be reporting to her. At first I didn't think anything of this but when I was told the news a big deal was made about the fact that I was reporting to a member of the Executive Committee (Ecom) before and now I won't be. I wouldn't have worried about it that much if they hadn't made such a big deal out of it. I'm not sure what to make of it really. At first I was reporting to an Ecom member, the same as she was, so effectively we were on the same level of a company organogram. But now she is reporting to an Ecom member still (albeit a different one) while I am reporting to her. Has she been promoted or have I been demoted? I'm not really sure. Supposedly the job won't change and I will appreciate having a manager who actually has time in the office to spend with their staff so should I really be getting that bothered about it all? As I say, I wouldn't have had a second thought had it not been brought up by someone else. Let's just see what happens, eh?

The other thing no-one quite seemed certain of is whether there is still a marketing department or whether there is a communications department and we just become part of the sales department.

One thing I hope doesn't happen is that my direct contact with the GM Sales is effectively filtered. I do a lot of work at present directly for him. That's good having that contact and exposure. I hope that doesn't change with my new boss having that contact and just passing work down to me. Again, we'll see, eh?

We got all packed tonight for the trip up north tomorrow. It's going to be nice to have a change of scenery. Just hope the weather is as nice as the forecast predicts.

No comments: