Monday 27 August 2007

First impressions

Today flew by. Introductions, inductions, meetings with key staff to have their roles/departments explained. Before I knew it it was 5pm. It was all a bit of a blur. It seemed to go ok though. The people were all really friendly and welcoming, which was great. And a relief. The company seems in the middle of some exciting changes, with cultural changes, process changes, progressive changes. It's a company that seems to be going forward and looking to develop instead of standing still. It's going to be exciting to be part of it, I think, in this new role. I met so many people today it was overwhelming. I hope they're not insulted when I forget all their names by Wednesday. I say Wednesday as tomorrow I have a day out with one of the field officers (the salesmen out there meeting and dealing with the farmers). I have to drive to Ashburton to meet with the guy by 9am. I'm borrowing my boss's car too! That's a little daunting.

I learned a lot about the business today. As much as I could in one day at least. The first step on a long path. But at least I know what some of the business units do now, like Animal Health and AgChem and the marketing department (that I'm officially part of). Sadly I'm not sat with the rest of the marketing team at the moment though. Office space is at a bit of a premium and I think it took some major negotiation skills to get me a spot to call my own by the afternoon. Hopefully I won't be round there for too long though. There are re-furb plans afoot I've heard. Although I'm in the marketing department it sounds like I'm going to be working alongside lots of other departments. People in the past have all performed their little bits of analysis here and there but the aim is to try and pull some of that together into my role I gather.

In terms of house developments, I phoned Telecom today and arranged for an engineer to come out and set up our landline connection and also for our broadband to be set up. One more thing sorted for when we move in. Counting down the days until we get the keys now.

No comments: