Friday 17 August 2007

Not easy

I just phoned up the person at Orion who I would have been working under to let him know that I appreciated the offer and his time but unfortunately I would not be able to accept his job offer. He was very good about it, saying that he understands I have to choose the role that's best for me, but it still wasn't an easy thing to have to do. Not since my year out from Uni have I had to phone people to turn down job offers.

So, yes, as you may have guessed, I've accepted the role with Ravensdown. I am, starting on the 27th August, going to be a market analyst "helping to drive the success of Ravensdown through the provision of accurate, timely and good quality business analysis and interpretation". Or at least, that's what the job spec says. Sounds posh, eh? Who can give me an insider's guide to fertiliser?

Among the other things we've done today was a quick trip out to Akaroa this morning, a little place where French settlers landed in August 1840. The town still has a gallic feel to it now, complete with the tricolore blowing in the wind. It was a little cloudy and grey and we got the impression the view was good behind the clouds as we came up over the hills, but it was a nice run out in the country nonetheless, complete with sheep. On the way back we came round a bend, noticed someone flagging us down so slowed down, and then realised 200 sheep were careering towards us being driven by a dog and a bloke in a ute. We stopped, the sheep went round us, and everything continued as before. A perfectly every day occurrence in NZ then.

Today also involved some more furniture shopping. We think we have a bed for the spare room, desks for the office, and garden furniture sussed now.

Oh, and before I forget, and especially for Clayton really, the cafe in Akaroa we stopped at didn't seem to have muffins so I went for carrot cake instead. Perfectly moist and a huge great slab. It perfectly complimented the mince and cheese pie it followed.

No comments: