Monday 6 August 2007

Making dynamite

This morning I had a 55 minute call from the recruitment agent dealing with the Ravensdown job, as I mentioned the other day. It seemed to go well, I think. I do hate those competency-based questions though. "Can you guide me through step by step what you did during a project that you started, progressed and then saw through to the finish?" "Can you describe to me a time when you weren't able to source some information you required?" Pfff.

The guy gave me more info on the job too and it all sounds rather interesting. Basically, in a nutshell, it seems that the company are keen to develop their sales and marketing teams so that they're more commercially aware and focussed. One way they see that happening is through the development of a 'standardised suite of core business analysis to support the sales and marketing teams and drive improvements in business productivity and profitability'. The role will mean getting down and dirty with analysis and data sourcing and working with IT on the information exchange and transfer systems as well as being involved on the Sales and Marketing Management Committee aiding in the decision-making process. I think I'm quite keen on the role, actually. It does seem like a good fit, and being a new role, should provide a great opportunity and an interesting challenge.

In terms of the company, they're an old-fashioned, family-type company (they still provide morning tea for the head office staff each and every day!) with an active social programme. All in all it sounds like a winner. All I have to do now is wait to see if I've been shortlisted. The next step are some psyc tests followed by an interview with the general managers of the sales and marketing departments, if I make it that far.

Regarding other irons in the fire, on the job front, the recruitment consultant dealing with the Meridian role likes the look of my CV and wants to see me on Thursday morning at 10am at her office. Can do.

So, only a couple of days left in Auckland now. It's been so nice and relaxing, but in a different way to Leigh. Yesterday Len, Val, Joanne and I went out for brunch before taking a drive along the harbour front (the one day I forgot to take my camera!) and then in the evening I knocked together another banana crumble for dessert. Tonight I think Joanne's two step-sisters, Emma-Jane and Becky, are over for dinner, and then tomorrow is something I am really looking forward to. It turns out that there's a churrascaria here in Auckland. Can't wait to see how it compares to Rodizio Rico or Fogo de Chao.

No comments: